Thursday, September 23, 2010


They say a picture is worth a thousand words, which is a relatively easy currency to convert, because it's roughly the same as a dollars to won. Still, part of me can't help wondering if the saying should be modified to adjust for inflation.


I know why the saying originated, because I've experienced it. For the one hundredth anniversary of National Geographic, they published an article called One Hundred Years of Photos. In the article, they had a picture of a dying Nigerian boy on a mat in a Red Cross camp during the Biafran War. When I saw that picture, I felt pangs of hunger in my stomach, and felt an echo of each of the boy's bony ribs inside my own ribs. Even though I haven't seen the picture in years and years, I can still close my eyes and see his protruding shoulder blades. The picture told a story a hundred times more powerful than any facts or statistics ever could.


My problem with the saying comes from the fact that not every picture is nearly as meaningful as that particular shot, and some words are more meaningful than others. I'll ignore right now the obvious arguments about the world-shaking words of history's Jesus's and Hitlers, and focus on a few words that are particularly inspiring to me. “Tintinnabulations” is one of my particular favorites, because the dictionary definition is “the tinkling sound of bells,” which is exactly what the word sounds like. Other words that sound so apt to there definition are “hullabaloo* – which means (and sounds like) a big uproar—and putz—someone who bungles things up. So when we say “A picture is worth a thousand words,” that exchange rates varies not only on each picture, but also on the words that are used!


Another problem with the currency of words to images is that one cultures images are worth more words, or different words in that culture than they are in a different culture. A Mona Lisa which might be worth a thousand words in Western culture might be worth only one hundred, or even one in Papua New Guinea or Afghanistan. Now, granted exchange rates change from country to country already. A dollar which is worth a thousand won in South Korea is worth roughly 86 Pakistani rupees and roughly 13 Mexican pesos. The real problems arise in the fact that even within a country, the subjectivity of a single image. For example, this picture of my brother Josiah speaks infinite words to me, but to someone outside of the family, the picture would mean very little. Imagine going to a country where the price of something changes drastically from store to store. At one stop you have to pay fifty cents for a gallon of milk, but at the next stop the charge is fifty dollars! Clearly images and words are not comparable currencies!


(Incidentally, the inverse is true that certain words have more power in certain cultures, and even then the power of those words varies contextually from person to person.)


What then, should the adage be? “A picture is worth a thousand words...depending on the picture...and the words...and the person.”



*Webster's dictionary provides a list of synonyms for hullabaloo which delight and tickle the mind in the same sort of way; “ballyhoo,” “hubbub,” and “kerfuffle” are three of my personal favorites.

**Photo courtesy of Neil Das, circa Resurrection Barbeque 2006 :)

7 comments:

  1. I happen to love this picture of Josiah, and it makes me miss you and your family so much! I love you all like my own family! I hope you're having an amazing time in Korea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Leah,
    I am having an amazing time. My favorite part about living in Korea is making a lot of new friends. I am falling in love with all these boys and girls and old men and little children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, since I found this blog in your facebook, I've been enjoying every word of it. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences, thoughts and feelings in Korea.

    And this posting is truly impressive too!
    "A picture is worth a thousand words."
    I've heared of it a thousand times, but never thought of it in terms of "currency to convert."

    A thousand hearings are not worth one seeing

    Wow, after I found this blog in your facebook, I've been enjoying every word of it. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences, thoughts and feelings in Korea.

    And this posting is truly impressive too!
    "A picture is worth a thousand words."
    I've heared of it a thousand times, but never thought of it in terms of "currency to convert."
    I couldn't agree with you more!

    Do you know that here in Korea we have a similar adage?
    "百聞不如一見"
    (I'm not sure these Chinese characters appear correctly on your computer.)
    If literally translated, it means "a hundred hearings are not worth one seeing."

    Before I read your posting, I thought these two adages mean the same thing. Here in Korea, we Koreans teach and are taught that they are the same. But now I think maybe they have different meanings in a deeper sense.

    Thank you for inspiring me and givine me something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heesung! That's very interesting to me that the Koreans have a similar saying. I wonder if the sentiment is expressed in other cultures as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually had similar thoughts, quibbling with the saying for many of the same reasons you cite. Possibly this is a result of my tendency to argue with universal statements, though personally I prefer the brainsharing theory. :)

    This post also makes me think of a sci-fi/fantasy story that I'm currently co-writing with a friend. The aliens, whom we affectionately call Space Monkeys (because seriously, what ELSE are you supposed to call ten-to-twelve-foot, six-limbed, tailed creatures?), do have spoken language, but communicate largely through gestures and colors (they are somewhat similar to cuttlefish in this respect). Even when they do speak, they supplement words with color changes and gestures that have very specific meanings, adding layers of complexity that make writing their dialogue an absolute PAIN.

    I bring this up because I have no idea how images are viewed (no pun intended) in their culture. I would really like to hear your thoughts on how communicating mainly through gestures would affect the image/word exchange.

    On a different note, have you read anything by Susan Sontag? She had some fascinating thoughts on war photography that you might be interested in; she talks about using an "economy of images" which I think is a very descriptive phrase.

    Also, I am very happy to have found the link to this place on your FB page. I was quite disappointed to miss your send-off party, though I did figure you wouldn't appreciate it too much if I gave you my Evil Death-Virus From Hell right before you left.

    We totally need to catch up, by the way. I miss you!

    Love you, darlin'.

    Ginnie

    P.S.
    I'm starting a blog with a couple of friends, and I'd love it if you'd check it out! There are no posts as of yet, but there are several in the works.

    The Irony Board: A Blargh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grar so apparently I can't use the linky html tags on here, which is weird. Here's the url since I can't seem to be able to make a link.

    http://theironyboardblargh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete